Sunday 24 January 2016

Week #2 - EDUC5101G Post - Transition to Distributed Learning

We have experienced a transformation from “distance learning” to “distributed learning”.  It’s interesting how these types of transformations can take place without actually realizing that the terminology we use has changed.  The common terms now tend to be distributed learning, online learning and eLearning.  There doesn’t need to be necessarily distance for distributed learning to be the best methodology to use.  Distributed learning has a wide range of advantages.

“Distributed learning is not just a new term to replace the other ‘DL,’ distance learning. Rather, it comes from the concept of distributed resources. Distributed learning is an instructional model that allows instructor, students, and content to be located in different, non-centralized locations so that instruction and learning occurs independent of time and place. The distributed learning model can be used in combination with traditional classroom-based courses, with traditional distance learning courses, or it can be used to create wholly virtual classrooms.” (Farmer, 2008)
This quote makes me think about “blended learning” which is currently quite popular.  In the corporate training world, many of our programs are designed with a blended approach.  When we want groups of learners to come together as one, we might design a face-to-face or a synchronous online/virtual (distributed) session.  These sessions might serve as a front-end and back-end learning segment to the program.  The learner would also complete a series of asynchronous learning experiences in between – all which would be distributed learning – could entail readings, videos, creating blogs, adding to a course wiki, completing group activities, completing field work in their workplace, etc.  Not only does distributed learning offer flexibility and variety from a learner and instructor perspective, but it also reduces costs and allows us to reach a much larger audience.  Distributed learning also enables us to bring in experts via video or incorporate expert chats from anywhere in the world, include simulation and virtual re-enactments – embedding learning elements that are current, credible, informative and engaging.  Our organization is global so we need to ensure all learners receive the same consistent, high-quality learning experience, regardless of where they reside.

References:
Farmer, J. (2008). Distributed Learning is Here:  Ask Any College Student. Retrieved from http://mfeldstein.com/distribute-learning-is-here-ask-any-college-student/
Bonk, C. (2010). Blended learning, the future. Indiana University School of Education. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI3LlmKYx6I



1 comment:

  1. Hey guys-- James Elsdon here. I really liked this post and I think I have a response that may, at best, spark a bit of thought.

    I think it is important to question distributed learning and distance learning as an effective medium of teaching and learning. I have always held the positon that if you are going to do something outside of the norm, you should probably have a reason for why you are doing it outside of the norm. I sometimes think to myself -- besides the added benefit of flexibility and ‘flashy instructional strategies’ what are we really achieving with distance and distributed learning? I can think of a lot of reasons right off the hop for supporting distributed learning, but when I think of distance learning the only real benefit I can think of is flexibility (time, location, etc, etc)—is there any added instructional value? Whenever I think of what I call 21st century learning I can’t help but wonder ‘are we really doing anything spectacular’? I am not saying it is not spectacular that student X can live in location Y and study in location Z—that part is excellent and great. What I wonder is—are we revolutionizing education the way a lot of people say we are? I always try to be honest with myself (mostly from a pessimistic stance) and I have a suspicion that 40, 30, 20 or even 5 years from now we are going to look back on where we are in education and education technology and discuss how primitive and limiting it was in 2015- how we thought we had a lot of the answers, but really had very few. I think we are putting so many eggs in the basket of ‘check out the new trend—you should do it—it’s awesome’ that we are sometimes truly forgetting basic pedagogy. I love technology. I love education. I am just not too sure technology in education is at a point where I can love it. I can; however, certainly like it and continue researching it… I just like to be vigilant, cognizant, skeptical, weary and a bit like… hey… are you sure that is best practice, or do you just like it because it looks cool, is flashy and using the computer…

    I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me on this post and I am sure a lot of people can shoot off dozens of times technology has enhanced their classroom (I can too), from both teaching and learning perspectives. I am not saying those moments don’t exist. I am just trying to urge people to look at the big picture. A picture I think is wonderful and has loads of potential. But a picture on a canvas that still needs a bit more ink.

    ReplyDelete