Wednesday 13 January 2016

Week #1 - EDUC5101G Post - Personal Introduction - JYG

My name is Janet Young-Garner - you can call me JYG if you like.  I am taking my 8th and 9th course of UOIT's Master of Education in Education and Digital Technologies this semester - with the plan to finish up by the end of the Spring semester.  Although I have taken many courses and programs since receiving my B.Ed many years ago at the University of Toronto, I felt it was long overdue to enhance my knowledge of what's happening specifically in the education field.  I have worked in training and development over 30 years with the majority of that time in corporate training within the financial industry.  I keep busy with my full-time job as a Senior Learning Consultant at BMO's Corporate University, Institute of Learning.  It's a pretty cool place to work and I'm surrounded by other professionals who are just as passionate about learning as myself.

I have wanted to do my M.Ed for many years, but also wanted to learn new ways to integrate technology into my learning programs.  With this program's focus on digital technologies, it meets both of my requirements - perfect! I have learned a lot about the digital technologies that are available to us as educators today and how they can enhance the learning experience.  I am sure this course (Digital Tools for Knowledge Construction), will enable me to continue on this journey of learning.

On a personal level, I am married, living in the burbs north of Toronto with 3 kids and a dog.  All 3 kids are in post-secondary so school is pretty much our favourite past time.  My running group (all ladies) love to do destination races - our next run will be a 1/2 marathon in Budapest (ah! there's my international connection with the class).  I also enjoy cooking, hiking, travelling, keeping active, spending time with family and friends, gardening and my newest interest - colouring in my new adult colouring book!

I will be using Blogger as my blogging platform as we used it for a previous course and it actually worked for me!




6 comments:

  1. Hi Janet, great post - I'm looking forward to working with you, and I'm interested in learning more about corporate training at BMO. It looks like you and I are on the same page with our program completion timelines, perhaps we will graduate together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! Would be happy to share with you what I know about corporate training. It has commonalities and differences when compared with working in the school system. But I am finding that everything learned in this program can be applicable to both. Yes, a few of us finish up end of June - it would be nice to graduate with a few people we know - wouldn't it! Look forward to working with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet,

    See my response to your blog here!
    http://racheleduc5101.blogspot.com/2016/01/week-1-response-1-jyg.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet's Responses For Week #1

    Joseph's Post: http://joecountryman5101.weebly.com/blog/number-one#comments

    Hi Joe! Great to be working with you again on another fabulous M.Ed course - us York Region folks need to stick together! Sounds like we both want to integrate more technology into our learning programs. I saw Star Wars over the holidays and have to admit, I did enjoy it - even though I'm not Star Wars crazy, like yourself :)

    Michelle's post: http://michellerivers13.blogspot.ca/2016/01/introductory-first-blog.html#comment-form
    Hi Michelle! Wow, you have a very interesting curriculum at Durham. I can see why your classes fill up quickly, you have me hooked! Would love to chat with you about your online teaching at Durham and I can see why this M.Ed program would provide ideas and best practices for you. You are correct in that employers are always looking for that critical thinking capability in their people - I know is is gaining popularity in my workplace.

    Dave's posts: https://swerdfegereduc5101g.wordpress.com/2016/01/12/week-1-thoughts/#comments
    Hi Dave! I think we were in one other course together in this program – always glad to see a familiar name/face and look forward to working with you in this program. Love the pic of your pug – sooo cute! I also have a little dog named Dodger – he is a shih-poo – he is very much a lap dog. I have also taken the Online Technology in Education course (first semester) – learned so much about the various digital technologies that can be effectively used for learning – used the WordPress blogging platform in that course, and also like it. I chose to use Blogger for this course as I used it for a more recent course. So many opportunities for us as educators – it will great gathering more ideas to take back to the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet,

    Thank you for your comment! I feel that teachers or people who have experienced first hand the power of constructivist learning theory are more likely to see it as a valuable theory and work to incorporate it into their practice. It is interesting that we are both in a similar place in the program but have very different professional backgrounds. I didn't realize BMO had their own Corporate University! Would the students all be current employees of BMO who are taking part in training? I too have just got on board with the adult colouring trend (I recieved a colouring book and new markers from my mom for Christmas). I look forward to learning with you this semester and best of luck with your other course as well; I can't imagine doing 2 courses at the same time while working full time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, please see my post at http://joecountryman5101.weebly.com/blog/number-one

    ReplyDelete