Wednesday 17 February 2016

Week #5 - EDUC5101G Responses to Posts


Reply to Michelle River

Michelle's Post:  http://michellerivers13.blogspot.ca/2016/02/week-5-death-of-textbook.html?showComment=1455767934799#c1741745890161651434

Hi Michelle!

What an interesting topic!  I enjoyed reading your blog “Death of the Textbook” – catchy title, got my attention!  We are definitely seeing an evolution of the textbook from its physical paper-based form.  With three kids in post-secondary education, I can certainly relate to and agree with your first bullet point regarding the high cost.  On average we are looking at approximately $400-$600 per semester for textbooks.  It appears that certain programs have larger and more expensive textbooks, such as Computer Science at university.  When a student switches to a new program, you are stuck with all these textbooks that you cannot sell because the new students do not want an older edition (page referencing would be different).  I agree with all of the points you mentioned.  I was not aware that a high percentage of students do not purchase the required textbooks (just assumed they had to) or that most of the content is provided in other ways – interesting trends.  Let’s not forget the weight of the textbooks and what that can do to a student’s back and shoulders when the knapsack that they carry around all day weighs fifty pounds.

I have a friend who works for a large publishing house – one of the big educational publishers.  Her company has changed and is continually changing.  Based on the growing demand for classroom technology, the company is transitioning from a print-based business model to customized content through subscriptions.   This shift allows for the development of adaptive learning systems, personalized learning and improved currency of content.

My thoughts are that technology has changed how the textbook market operates – the evolution has started, but many college/university students still use physical textbooks.  But we know it can happen and our M.Ed program is a great example - we can cover all of the required course content and leverage the open-source textbooks and other online resources as our material at little or no cost.  I believe we will see more of this transition over the next five years.  Is the death of the textbook imminent?  I think the answer is “yes” for most programs/ courses, but not all.  The transition requires schools determining the broadband capacity at school and how students will get connectivity after they leave for the day – so it will take time. There is an investment to be made for the transition, but large savings in the end.  I came across an interesting article titled “Why digital natives prefer reading in print. Yes, you read that right” – have a read.

Digital textbooks and digital learning should be a priority.

References:
Rosenwald, M. (2015). Why digital natives prefer reading in print. Yes, you read that right.  The Washington Post. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/why-digital-natives-prefer-reading-in-print-yes-you-read-that-right/2015/02/22/8596ca86-b871-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html



Reply to Rachel

Rachel's Post:  http://racheleduc5101.blogspot.ca/2016/02/staying-organized-online.html?showComment=1455768034638#c252852741574560786

Hi Rachel!

I can totally relate to your blog.  I too like to be organized.  I am organized in my physical spaces at work and home, but online, my files, emails, etc. need help.  I save everything and delete nothing, hence my problem.  So your topic peaked my curiosity – how does Rachel solve her problem?  I am also a new user of Twitter, but will definitely check out TweetDeck as I follow more people.  I have heard about TweetDeck, but have not yet used it.  The two tools you mention to integrate multiple social media apps, on the other hand, I have not heard about, so will need to do a little research to determine if they can help my situation.  Zotero is a great place to house pertinent readings/articles and seems to work well for this course.  For this program, I have been saving my links of shared articles in a Links folder for each course.  It would be much better if saved in one location, with extra benefits of organizing and citing sources.  Delicious, another tool I have heard about, but was not aware what it did.  I have so many bookmarks, so will need to check out this tool as well.  So many tools to explore!

I came across a site that you might find interesting.  It focuses on organizing your research online.  The topics might help you – keeping current, managing citations, note taking, save now and read later (a list of tools to organize items for future reading, file sync and backup, collaborate and simplify (a list of tools for simplifying your workflow and help you collaborate with others and automated research.  The article also includes a video of how information organization has changed.

Thanks for all the tips!

References:
University of Southern California (2016). Organizing Your Research Online. USC Libraries, Research Guides. Retrieved from http://libguides.usc.edu/productivity


No comments:

Post a Comment